Injury to the muscles or tendons in the cervical spine, the portion of the spine contained within the neck. Injuries may stem from daily activities, but often occur from sudden trauma such as a fall, auto accident or sports injury.
Pain is the primary symptom, but its location and severity vary. Individuals may also feel unusually tired or irritable and have trouble concentrating. Movement often worsens pain. Headaches frequently occur with this injury.
- Ice or cold packs, to help reduce inflammation
- Heat, gentle massage or ultrasound treatment to increase blood flow and stimulate healing
- Anti-inflammatory medications to reduce pain
- Use of a soft cervical collar during the day and cervical pillow while sleeping to increase comfort
- Strengthening exercises to improve stability