The McKenzie Method of MDT is a reliable assessment process intended for all musculoskeletal problems, including pain in the back, neck and extremities (i.e., shoulder, knee, ankle etc.).
The McKenzie assessment process begins with the trained clinician taking a detailed history about your symptoms and how they behave. You will then be asked to perform certain movements and rest in certain postures and tell the clinician how this influences your symptoms. This enables the clinician to identify specific pain patterns, which then helps the clinician develop a treatment plan specific to your pattern of presentation.
What to expect from an initial appointment with a certified McKenzie provider.
- Prior to receiving ANY type of treatment, you will be thoroughly assessed by a certified McKenzie provider. An initial full assessment appointment will typically take from 30-45 minutes.
- During the assessment process, you will be asked your history followed by some flexibility and strength tests, and you will perform a series of repeated movements that will help the clinician assess your level of mobility to determine how you might benefit from MDT treatment techniques.
- The nature of your problem will be thoroughly explained to you.
- The clinician will identify what they can do to help you.
- You will be advised and educated on what you can do to help yourself.